FAVORITE BOOKS OF 2011

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

WARNING: LONG ENTRY! So far, 2011 was a book month for me. I've read a lot of books and by that, a lot have captured my heart. Mostly, I'm in to reading self-help books before but surprisingly now, I'm drawn to reading YA books or trilogy books based on science fiction, paranormal, fantasy and romance. Stories that are far from reality are very interesting. And they seem to challenge my sanity. Haha. Anyway, here are my top ten favorite books from last year:

1. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
Status: 3 books done.

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Thoughts: I posted this at the top of my list because this seriously blew my mind. It has been published last 2008-2010 and I only got to discover this last year!! What a shame! Anyway, this is far by the most heartbreaking book I've ever read. It broke my heart to know that the people here fight there way to survival. From poverty, violence and especially the fight to death game imposed by the Capitol in each district. I'm always moved whenever each people in the district talk about how difficult their lives and how they go on for a day and not be able to eat right. *sniffs* Okay okay, enough about how I feel. This is an amazing, original and a beautifully written story that leaves you at the edge of your seat. I highly recommend this! And I'm looking forward to the movie which will be released on March this year.

2. Wanderdust (The Seraphina Parrish Trilogy #1) by Michelle Warren

Ever since her sixteenth birthday, strange things keep happening to Seraphina Parrish.

The Lady in Black… burns Sera’s memories.

Unexplainable Premonitions… catapult her to other cities.

The Grungy Gang… wants to kill her.

And a beautiful, mysterious boy… stalks her.

But when Sera moves to Chicago, and her aunt reveals their family connection to a centuries old, secret society, she is immediately thrust into an unbelievable fantasy world, leading her on a quest to unravel the mysteries that plague her. In the end, their meanings crash into an epic struggle of loyalty and betrayal, and she’ll be forced to choose between the boy who has stolen her heart and the thing she desires most.

Wander Dust is the breathtaking fantasy that will catapult you through a story of time, adventure, and love.

Thoughts: Before anything else, I just want to say that I love the protagonist's name, Seraphina. :) This book is magical and I love it to bits albeit the plot is somewhat confusing and you really have to open your mind to imagine things. I really wish I could time travel and go to different places. And of course, I want a protector too like Maxwell Bishop. Haha. I can't wait for book two.

3. Blue Bloods Series by Melissa de la Cruz
Latest book: Lost In Time (book 6)

When the Mayflower set sail in 1620, it carried on board the men and women who would shape America: Miles Standish; John Alden; Constance Hopkins. But some among the Pilgrims were not pure of heart; they were not escaping religious persecution. Indeed, they were not even human. They were vampires.The vampires assimilated quickly into the New World. Rising to levels of enormous power, wealth, and influence, they were the celebrated blue bloods of American society.

The Blue Bloods vowed that their immortal status would remain a closely guarded secret. And they kept that secret for centuries. But now, in New York City, the secret is seeping out. Schuyler Van Alen is a sophomore at a prestigious private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes instead of the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates, and she lives with her reclusive grandmother in a dilapated mansion. Schuyler is a loner...and happy that way. Suddenly, when she turns fifteen, there is a visible mosaic of blue veins on her arm. She starts to crave raw food and she is having flashbacks to ancient times. Then a popular girl from her school is found dead... drained of all her blood. Schuyler doesn't know what to think, but she wants to find out the secrets the Blue Bloods are keeping. But is she herself in danger?

Thoughts: I love this series! I finished reading the 8 books this year (8 books because there are two bonus books). I'm still waiting for the seventh book.

4. Die for me (Revenants #1) by Amy Plum

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?

Thoughts: This book swept me off my feet. I love the cover and I love the setting (Paris). It's romantic and I kept on grinning all the way to the last page. The story was complicated and there's a lot of information to process. But I love it nonetheless. And ohh I enjoyed imagining and mimicking there french accents.

5. The Infernal Devices Series by Cassandra Clare
Latest book: Clockwork Prince (book 2)

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

Thoughts: I'm still recovering from this book. Book two left me speechless and it threw a lot of surprises that I did not expect. From Will's dilemma (I find that part weird) to Jem and Tessa's engagement.

6. Half-Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

Thoughts: Hmm I love Aiden and Alex's forbidden love and I love how the story is progressing. The author is pretty amazing! She post teasers and POVs about the book at her blog.








7. Hush, Hush Series by Becca Fritzpatrick
Latest book: Silence (book 3)

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

Thoughts: Patch Jev Cipriano is one hot of an angel! ♥








8. The Wolves of Mercy Falls Series by Maggie Stiefvater
Status: 3 books done.

Grace and Sam share a kinship so close they could be lovers or siblings. But they also share a problem. When the temperature slips towards freezing, Sam reverts to his wolf identity and must retreat into the woods to protect his pack. He worries that eventually his human side will fade away and he will be left howling alone at the lonely moon. A stirring supernatural teen romance.















9. The Dark Divine Series by Bree Despain
Latest book: The Lost Saint (book 2)

Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared--the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in his own blood--but she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night held.

The memories her family has tried to bury resurface when Daniel returns, three years later, and enrolls in Grace and Jude's high school. Despite promising Jude she'll stay away, Grace cannot deny her attraction to Daniel's shocking artistic abilities, his way of getting her to look at the world from new angles, and the strange, hungry glint in his eyes.

The closer Grace gets to Daniel, the more she jeopardizes her life, as her actions stir resentment in Jude and drive him to embrace the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind the boy's dark secret...and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it--her soul.





10. Wherever You Go by Heather Davis

Seventeen-year-old Holly Mullen has felt lost and lonely ever since her boyfriend, Rob, died in a tragic accident. The fact that she has to spend most of her free time caring for her little sister and Alzheimer’s-stricken grandfather doesn’t help. But Holly has no idea that as she goes about her days, Rob’s ghost is watching over her. He isn’t happy when he sees his best friend, Jason, reach out to help Holly with her grandfather—but as a ghost, he can do nothing to stop it. Is his best friend really falling for his girlfriend?

As Holly wonders whether to open her heart to Jason, the past comes back to haunt her. Her grandfather claims to be communicating with the ghost of Rob. Could the messages he has for Holly be real? And if so, how can the loved ones Rob left behind help his tortured soul make it to the other side?

Told from the perspectives of Holly, Jason, and Rob,Wherever You Go is is a poignant story about making peace with the past, opening your heart to love, and finding the courage to move forward into the light.

Thoughts: THIS. BOOK. IS. AWFULLY. SAD. I couldn't count the times I cried or wept while reading this book. *sniffs* Almost everyone is a mess. There's just a lot of emotions coming from every character like the need to hang on and move on with life. It's a emotional roller coaster. And of course from that, I've learned a lot of lessons about life, love, death. I love all the characters, well except for Mark. I love how they all blend in together. And I definitely love Grandpa even though he have Alzheimer's disease. Jason is my favorite character because he is always there for Holly and her family even though he is quite lonely and have to deal some family problems on his own. Indeed, he is a good example of a man. Holly sure is lucky to have someone like him to get through with life.


» I hope to read more books this year!! :) I'm currently reading Incarnate by Jodi Meadows (Newsoul #1)
Source: Goodreads

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Thank you so much for the book love! I just gave you a shout out from my Facebook page! Many, many thanks! Michelle Warren :)

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michelle-Warren-YA-Author-of-Wander-Dust/124362290972713

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwee thank you so much! I'm honored. :) I really love your book! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“If there's one thing I've learned, it's this: We all want everything to be okay. We don't even wish so much for fantastic or marvelous or outstanding. We will happily settle for okay, because most of the time, okay is enough.”
- David Levithan